Wednesday, November 15, 2006

look ing for / a final bit / of warmth


notes from my garden

& @ 11 am the sun shines in to my yard
full / all most warm / making steam rise
off / the dew damp / oh morn ing frost

& yes ter day / grey rain / yes ter day
snow / falls / snow all ways seems to
come @ the end of october




& now / leaves fall / quick lee
ground ed / but even in death
oh / the rot is beautiful /


oh / glow on yellow / taint me
with your burnt reds / dying pinks



& some where / in the garden
geraniums / st.ill bright red / hot pink
resist / some how / nights dead lee frost

sun flowers / st.ill / face south / tall
tall / not ready to die / yet





every once in a while / wind rises
up / northern swirls of cold / tossle
the wet leaves / cling ing to summer





no / i can not fight the season

& i fall in to / quietude / let the
tired ness / consume me / & day
be comes / less / /










you see / i'm running thru my house
look ing for a hat with a brim / some thing
to keep the sun out of my eyes / i'm running
thru my house / look ing @ the corners / past
the piles / oh grim reaper of guilt / & i / per miss
my self / to write / out here in the sun / /



& thots be gin / never end / circle circle my mind
& it's that twinge be tween my legs / that never
end ing wonder of / / / but you see i've decided
it's better to stay @ home




better to keep the pain / confined to my chest





& i st.ill can't find the courage to quit












the sun / would be pleasant if / only
it would n't fall so far in to the south sky
setting limits on day light / / oh / this
axis of earth is enough to drive me /
& wild doesn't even be gin to de scribe
how this time of year makes me / / feel

some thing about dread / about tuck ing in











there is / one red rose left in the garden
a long cold bloom / it's sat on its stem for
weeks now / it's the dew / heavy moisture
that's plump ed it out / some how / & it opens
eternal / & sure / we all know / that rose is
gonna die soon / petals will blacken / & drop
it's that disappear ing in to / the ground / i find
so un settle ing / so / comfort ing / / / i'm lost












& the sun heats up my black cloth ing
& i think
perhaps thats why flowers turn black /
to stay warm / to stay warm

3 comments:

Hector the Crow said...

i like "tossle"

Shay said...

I like 'nights dead lee frost'. A nice double Bill Bissett twisted edge...'nights deadly frost' or 'nights dead lee frost' as in def 3:

Lee Pronunciation (l)
n.
1. Nautical The side away from the direction from which the wind blows.
2. An area sheltered from the wind: in the lee of the boulder.
3. Cover; shelter.
adj.
1. Nautical Of or relating to the side sheltered from the wind: the lee gunwale.
2. Located in or facing the path of an oncoming glacier. Used of a geologic formation.

CSOC said...

I love the Lee thang.

1. Original Lee
2. Creative Lee
3. Fresh Lee Done.