Tuesday, April 12, 2005

shallow april

/



& i fell before you

in grace / mouth bitter / lost





every thing tastes like yellow


& wisps of whitest cloud rise above kootenay lake
melt against the blackness of an april rainy nite

every thing is a shine a gain / roads / shovel left
half buried in the garden / yellow handle bright a gainst
this spring brown / / & you know / soon the leaves will green / /

but for now rain must be content to polish pines & cedars
& branches left bare & brown by 2 cold seasons /





st.ill one thinks / this is not the time to die / spring is
coming & there is a constant thud in the back of my head
& the brain makes one do such funny things



i hold my head in prayer again / heavy / always my head
feels so heavy / / & sleep well little ones / / some one
watches / & the nod of night time persists / calls








& we smoke cigs & weed & talk / break the rules
stay up late / no booze tho / too much medication




balance / balance is off / hard to lift the feet




& rain drops / make noises as water gathers / runs
along / down the roof / in to the plugged gutters
over flow / drip drip / sounds like some one's knocking

shiny white baubles gather on the under side of the power lines
a long strand of jiggling pearls / constant lee forming & breaking
off / another drip drop hits the ground / this happens a million times
over / just how many drops of rain did fall?





i can't remember right now / / only that words constant lee
look strange / & i can't think of the right ones to use

i for get how i used to be / i'm certain i was
wind / but not more than a shadow as i moved through
mountains / over glaciers / a cross water / some days
i'd even tumble down a mountain draw / following creeks
i was the wind in the forest / some times un seasonably
warm








*

1 comment:

Hector the Crow said...

Hey Jennifer.

I always know where to go for the Kootenay weather report - poetic edition. Beautiful descriptions.

I hope Tam is comfortable. Cool that you're hanging out with him. I hope I'll get to see him soon - I was supposed to call that evening, but I slept late.

I'm in Kansas now. The trip went quite smoothly. It's wonderful to be back with Dez again - a shame I'll only be here a week, but I'm not thinking about that yet.